Sunday, June 24, 2018

Siesta fiesta en Pamplona

11pm

Hotel Maissonave

I really need to sleep, as we have an early morning back on the trail tomorrow. But I’ll say this... Pamplona is a beautiful city, full of beautiful scenery and beautiful coffee and beautiful food. 


But there’s nothing more beautiful than sharing a meal with two new friends with whom we’ve crossed paths many times starting in Orisson, who we happened to run into at a store this afternoon and invite to join us for dinner. 

There is just nothing like this. I am an introvert in absolutely every sense of the word. I love people, I love connecting with people, I love learning about people. But small talk makes me feel like a hostage. Conversation that lacks meaning is torturous, and combined with my at times crippling anxiety, experiences with lots of new people can be extremely overwhelming. Here, I find myself reaching out to share a meal with people I’ve known LESS THAN A WEEK, because I feel an indescribable sense of kinship and comfort in their presence.

So did we really just happen to run into them? The Camino is really making me lose my faith in coincidence. 

2 comments:

  1. The immediate connection that you have with fellow pilgrims is the magic and the blessing of the Camino. It brings me such joy to know that you and your dad are experiencing that blessing together.

    ReplyDelete