Sunday, July 29, 2018

Santiago de Compostela

11pm
Hotel Alda Algalia 

I don’t know where to begin. 
How do I begin to talk about the end of this monumental journey?

The day started much like all our others. 
Get up, grab some breakfast, and set out to take on the many miles that await us.





Once again, Mother Nature was so good to us. We couldn’t have asked for better weather. Overcast, breezy, and cool.

We stopped for a quick break about 1/3 of the way through, during which time I had to sew my shorts AGAIN, while I was wearing them. Which afforded us these very flattering photos. 





We continued on for another 1/3 or so, in gorgeous forests and with the perfect weather holding out. 

Along the way, Sebastian and Jacob caught up to us. When we had dinner together last night, they shared they’re planning to get to Santiago a day after us, making their final day of walking short and sweet. When they caught up to us today, Jacob excitedly yelled ahead, “We changed our mind! To Santiago!” I said, “No way! About 10 minutes ago I thought, ‘I wonder if they’ll change their minds as we get closer.’” “Well, we made our decision about 10 minutes ago,” he said with a smile. 

We were all so excited, it felt electric. They’re much faster than us, so they set off ahead, and I snapped this adorable photo of the two of them in their joy and excitement. 



We stopped for lunch a little later, where of course we ran into them again and I was able to share the photo. Eating our final Camino bocadillos was so surreal. I celebrated with a glass of wine, and we prepared to set off for our final leg of the journey. 









As we reached the outskirts of town and proceeded through the city on our way to the cathedral, my heart started racing in anticipation. It felt like there was a 10lb weight on my chest. But in a good way, somehow. 

Everything we’ve been working toward. 
Every single mile.
Has brought us to this day. 
It’s our 40th day of the adventure. 
And we’ve walked all but 3. 
It was hard. 
It was exhausting, physically, mentally, and emotionally. 
But we did it.

As we got closer to the old town, the charming streets got narrower, the excitement grew. Until we rounded a corner to the sound of bagpipes. Echoing out of a tunnel, which we were about to enter. 

This is it.
This is IT. 

We walked down the stairs. 
Through the tunnel. 
Into the square.
Catedral de Santiago towered over us to the left, and I buried my head in my dad’s shoulder as the tears started flowing. “We did it, sweetie,” he said.

We did it. 



Our new friend Patty, who we met in El Acebo, was the first face I saw. She ran over to us with the brightest smile and biggest hugs, crying and celebrating with us. 



We saw a few other pilgrim friends we met along the way, and they all shook our hands or hugged us and offered their knowing congratulations. It’s a feeling and comeraderie like no other. 



We spent a little while longer in the square, soaking in the reality of all we’ve accomplished, before heading to the pilgrim office for our Compostelas. 

On the way, we found them again. Jacob and Sebastian. More hugs, more tears. More joy. 



We made our way into the office and waited in line until it was our turn to declare ourselves Camino finishers. The nice man whose window I approached took my stamped credentials, confirmed my starting point, St. Jean Pied-de-Port, France, and gave me my final stamps. Writing my name in Latin on the Compostela, it was finished. And official. 







We made our way to our hotel, settled and showered, and headed to the evening pilgrim’s mass. Followed by an incredible Italian dinner and ice cream. 

And now, here we are. Getting ready to crash. 
No alarm set for the morning. We won’t load our packs and sling them on our backs and take off anywhere. 

The walking is done. 
We reached our destination. 
We walked the Camino.

We walked the Camino. 

I can’t thank our loved ones enough for all the support and encouragement along the way. Knowing I have such an amazing tribe cheering me on helped me get through each and every step. 

And thank you so much for following along. 
Perhaps, as you’ve walked with us, the Camino has called to you. Perhaps it already had. 

Don’t ignore the call. It won’t stop calling. 
There are many ways to be a pilgrim, and no one way is correct. Heed the call, make the choice, set the goal. 



They say the Camino starts at your front door.

So, for all you future pilgrims, no matter if you’re still daydreaming or about to research flights:

Allow me to be the first to say, 

Buen Camino.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!! What an incredible, inspiring journey Andie! I'm so proud to know you and grateful to have followed your story as you've shared so eloquently, so honestly. I think you need to publish this. Really. Cant wait to see you in September. Please dont stop today! Tell us about the rest of your trip! Xo

    ReplyDelete