Saturday, July 28, 2018

Salceda

9:30pm
Pension Albergue Alborada

My body is wrecked. 

My feet hit their “ok I’m done” wall about 3km into our walk today, rather than the usual 3km to our destination. I honestly won’t be surprised if I have a stress fracture in the making on one of them. BUT! We only have one. more. day. of walking. One more day! Tonight’s the last night we go through our usual routine. Set an alarm. Prepare for another early morning and full day of walking. This fact really got me through today. I’m not as worried about not making it to the end, I know I’ll miss this when it’s done, and I’m trying to soak in every last moment. Plus, it was another beautiful day with ideal walking weather and pretty doable footing. 







There were a lot more pilgrims on the road today, and it’s kind of fun to feel our collective energy and excitement. We stopped at a beautiful little shop this afternoon, only because I had to use the bathroom, and I’ve never been so thankful for my bladder. That’s a really weird thing to say, but what I’m getting at is that this cafe had my name written alllllll over it. So beautiful, such great music, the whole thing. Incredible. 



We continued on with a little more pep in our step, a few more kilometers, where we came upon a beer garden. Empty bottles of “Peregrina” beer decorated the whole space, and you don’t just pass that by. And BONUS! I’ve wanted to get a proper chocolate croissant for days, and finally found them here. A double whammy of perfection. 





The last few kilometers were great. Yes, we were so tired. But it was gorgeous, the beer helped, and we made it all in one piece. 

One thought I found myself reflecting on most of the day is how beautifully relationships are formed on the Camino. We can pass a person or group multiple times, during the first of which we just say a simple “Buen Camino,” and don’t necessarily think we’ll see them again. And then we might pass again, with a smile of greeting and recognition. And then you keep passing, and passing, and passing, back and forth, until you end up chatting a bit more and connecting one way or another. Maybe you share a meal. Maybe it’s just a quick rest break. We learn very quickly that anyone we meet might end up being a new, wonderful friend who will leave a mark on our lives and experience. So we start to go into every interaction knowing this could be true. Why don’t we live more like that at home? I’m not saying we need to expect every stranger to become a close friend. But there’s no reason we shouldn’t treat everyone as though there’s a very high probability we’ll see them again. That they might just be someone we would really enjoy. That they might need a smile, or a friend, or help. I want to take this home as well.

We had a wonderful example of this concept at dinner. Yep, the same night I’ve been thinking of this. We’ve passed and been passed by who we assumed were a father-son duo many times over the last few days. We’ve exchanged smiles and quick greetings every time, and they seem really nice. We didn’t see them all afternoon, but of course we walk onto the back patio of the restaurant down the street for dinner tonight and there they are. Again, there’s no hesitation with pilgrims when it comes to meal time. You sit together. We sat down with them and had what became one of my favorite dinner experiences of the trip. On this, our last Camino dinner. They are Sebastian and Jacob, from Denmark. Both teachers. Jacob (the dad) asked our favorite part of the Camino, and he and Sebastian shared too. We talked about deep, personal feelings and connected on what we have in common. Jacob shared that the word in his head and on his heart on this trip is “kindness.” It’s just everywhere. 

“I will pack my backpack to the brim with kindness, and bring it back to Denmark.”

That’s just what you should do, Jacob. I think I’ll do the same.

They shook our hands, looked us in our eyes, and wished us a good way tomorrow. And peace. Of course we saw them again when we realized we’re staying at the same albergue. Jacob saw a weary-looking couple who had arrived hoping for a bed, but the reception desk is closed and every bed is full. He insisted, “Nobody is here now. Stay here, on the couch.” You can pay in the morning if you want, but we won’t tell. Get some rest.” 

Kindness. 
We all have it in us. 
Put it into practice. 

And now, we rest. We prepare for the final 27km to our destination. THE destination. The day we’ve worked 39 days to accomplish. The day of which we’ve been dreaming. 

One more day. One more sacred day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment