Friday, June 22, 2018

Zubiri

12:45pm

Casa Maitetxu

We’ve walked about 4 hours now, a few kilometers from Roncesvalles to a lovely little cafe where I experienced my first cafe con leche and my heart swelled. A croissant and hard-boiled egg and orange juice topped off that heavenly experience, and we were off again! Walked a few more hours and now we’re here at this cafe. This beautiful, adorable, heaven-sent cafe. It was as if the rest of the world disappeared and it was just me and my new soulmate Tortilla. Ok, that’s a little extreme but not entirely untrue. This stuff is GOOD. It doesn’t hurt that I’ve walked a long way in the last 3 days, but that’s not the whole reason it’s incredible. It’s just incredible.

A soft breeze is blowing to cool us off, and I’m topping off the experience with a cafe con leche. I have a feeling those will be a 2-or-3-a-day tradition for me. 

Have I mentioned this place is magical?



9:30pm

Suseia Albergue

Well. Things got real after the blissful tortilla lunch. It was stunning all the way, but our descent into Zubiri was WOWSERS. Straight down a rocky hill about 4km long. A rock scramble to beat all rock scrambles. My joints are achin’ and my dogs are barkin’. I showered when we arrived and the razor on my calves was enough pressure to hurt. My muscles. That’s what we’re dealing with. But we freakin made it. And reunited with our Camino family, some of the same beautiful people we met on night one in Orisson. It’s a beautiful, beautiful thing. Our dinner was unbelievable, prepared fresh by the hospitaleros here. Such care and tenderness. Which was clear from the moment we were greeted with ice cold beer after our grueling day. 


More conversations around the table, in many different languages. You know something else I’ve learned? It doesn’t take much to connect with someone. One of the leaders on my college mission trip (hey DJ) once said, "Nothing bonds you with people like doing something that sucks." I think that’s so true. And while absolutely NOTHING about this trip sucks, it’s most certainly hard. So I would say, nothing bonds you with people like doing something really, really hard, especially when that thing is also so full of beauty. 

The universe/god/whatever and whomever you subscribe to, works in mysterious ways. So far on this trip, both nights have presented me with a person who really challenged me and my patience. In one way or another. Enough to actively avoid these people for a period of time, and feel my heart drop when I saw them approaching. And wouldn’t you know it, this experience and this place has forced me to encounter them, again and again, until a moment occurs that makes me turn a corner. Just like that. I might (read: definitely do) still disagree with much of what initially annoyed or outraged me. But I can see their beauty. I can see their struggle. I can see their accomplishment. I can see they are HUMAN. 

I have been directly involved with and/or overheard conversations about the deepest, most vulnerable parts of people’s lives. Divorce. Job loss. Death. Illness. Abortion. It’s day 3. And this is what we talk about. How completely crazy is that?? I can’t get over it.

There is beauty in the struggle, because it connects us to each other. And we will stay connected forever, even if we never speak again. 

2 comments:

  1. Andie, thank you for your honesty. I am surely one of “the two”, and I have been feeling bad about what I said since then. I have been reading your blog today since you said “Hi!” and appreciate your depth, fortitude, openness, and wonderful writing ability that combine together to help me hear your heart sing! Having such a long and powerful walk with your dad probably makes me mourn my own devastating loss of my father when he was 50 and I was 25. I’m hoping you will continue to see and recount the blessings you receive all through this life, and rejoice ever after with those you hold dear. Please forgive me, my fellow camiga, and know that I have benefitted from your encouragement today. Yes, I am returning to where I left off last year and hoping for a joyous journey too❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Ronda, thank you so very much for taking the time to reach out. That really means a lot to me. I am so bummed for you that your second chance Camino did not pan out the way you had hoped, and I so hope you are able to give it another try, if that’s what your heart tells you. It is such a beautiful and personal journey. Truly, it means the world that you would take the time to share these beautiful words. We are all a Camino family, and the Camino still provides.

      Delete